IF315's Book Recommendations:

IF315's Book Recommendations

Monday, December 24, 2012

Reservations about Returning to Christian Belief


Hi Dr. Craig. I would like to thank you for all your hard work and dedication and wanted to let you know that your work has certainly nudged me into investigating more deeply a faith I had once held, took for granted and am now trying to rediscover. My biggest hurdles are twofold:
First, from a philosophical perspective I know that the multiplicity of religious belief systems does not necessarily negate the truth of one or indeed provide for any logical inference to the non-existence of God. However I do find it at times rather unnerving when I see and experience the way followers of other faiths like Buddhism, Hinduism and even Islam seem to achieve the same sense of peace and authenticity I have come to associate with my own experience of Christianity in my own life and the lives of people I meet. It does tend to make me think that we might conclude, if not that God does/does not exist, that the christian path might not be the exclusive route to a real knowledge of God. The niggling thought does occur to me that perhaps one religion is just as good as another as far as God is concerned. Wouldn't it be the case that if God intended for Christianity to be true that other faiths would fail where ours succeeds? My observations tend to indicate that this isn't the case.
Secondly, from a theological perspective; I find it hard to explain myself when pressed by skeptics on the God of the Old Testament. I understand there are a variety of interpretations afforded on the, at times, shocking depictions of the Old Testament God and I've read a work recommended in one of your talks 'Is God a Moral Monster?' by Paul Copan, but it seems that any time I come to explain myself on these matters it is dismissed as simply that 'explaining away' via a convenient interpretation afforded by the inherent vagaries of language and on one occasion was demonstrated how similar literary interpretative exercises could be performed n obviously abhorrent texts like Hitler's 'Mein Kampf' to make it seem as though it had moral viability.
I know this might be a lot to take in but I would really appreciate your patience and wisdom.
Thank you
Jon
Malta


Click HERE to read Dr. Craig's answer

4 comments:

  1. Jon should lose himself in the Book of Colossians for about a year - nine months in 1:9-18.

    Dr. Craig must weep when he reads such a letter. I sure feel like it. Merry Christmas all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt compelled to make an additional comment about Dr. Craig's answer that the purpose of Christianity is not to help people feel good, and that the qualities of peace, joy, and love are merely nice side benefits, with salvation and eternal life being the main benefits. I think it's a mistake to use the words "side benefit" when Jesus speaks so directly and powerfully about peace, joy, and love, countless times. In fact, I think they are of equal benefit, mainly because we have them available to us in the here and now. And let's face it, the here and now is our "present" challenge. I can forgive Dr. Craig for putting it this way for several reasons: 1. He is ultimately right. 2. Coming from the world of journalism, I know a great deal about how difficult it is to be thoroughly concise is a short space. 3. Many great theologians agree with him. And a prime example can be found in J.I. Packer's famous book, "Knowing God."

    I quote Packer from page 40, "It is constantly needful to stress that God does not exist for our comfort or happiness or satisfaction, or to provide us with religious experiences (can we think Pentecostals? My add) as if these were the most interesting and important things in life." This is well put, but also easily misunderstood, like Dr. Craig might be misunderstood.

    To add to Packer's point, let me quote from a letter I received from "Reasonable Faith" concerning this very subject. "There was a time when God existed and the entire creation did not, including human beings. If God exists for us (for the purpose of peace, joy, and love, my add, and Dr. Craig's negative point), then how would we explain this fact? He obviously exists for some other purpose. God is eternal and self-sufficient. He doesn't need us."

    Now I think all three responses coming from Dr. Craig, Mr. Packer, and Dr. Craig's staff member, certainly come off as somewhat cold and sterile, if taken only at face value, and in the bright light of how Jesus greatly stresses the benefits of "here and now" peace, joy and love.

    My point is that my fellow Christians should not view peace, joy, and love as merely "side benefits," as Dr. Craig puts it. They are your precious gifts from God, and please take full advantage of them - here and now - and don't ever consider them in a diminished light or strictly as "side benefits." None of these gentleman really intent for you to misunderstand how they actually view these things, although I can easily see how a misunderstanding could occur.

    Finally: Mr. Copan's book is well worth reading, and goes far beyond the one example Dr. Craig had the room to mention. A "must read," in my opinion. Peace to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding Jon's first point, none of the founders of the other religions he mentions ever claimed to be God in the flesh as Jesus, (Yeshua) did in word and deed. None of them lived lives in fulfillment of ancient prophesies about them as Jesus, (Yeshua) did. None of them suffered and died as a substitutionary atonement for our sins as Jesus, (Yeshua) did. None of them was ever resurrected from the dead as Jesus, (Yeshua) was. None of them has the authority to judge us, and offer us eternal life as Jesus, (Yeshua) does.
    Hinduism is an ancient pagan religion that worships demonic idols. Buddaism is a philosopy that seeks to free Hindus from their endless cycles of reincarnation, [which is a lie started by dealing with familiar spirits, (demons)] and karma, through asceticism, works and meditation practices which invite demonic possesion.
    Islam is a religion which still promotes slavery, was spread by the sword, enforced upon people through fear and threat; and which allows no questioning of its tenets by people under its sway. It promotes the worship of an ancient pagan Arabian moon god; was spread by a man of low moral character who used it to make himself rich, powerful, and above the law. I hardly think those religions can be compared to the Christianity of the Bible by any logical person.
    True, there are man-made so-called Christian religions which have tortured and killed in the past, but they do not represent true Biblical Christianity; mostly it was Bible-believing Christians and Jews that were tortured and killed by them. Those religions incorporate almost as much pagan beliefs as Christian, and made it illegal for common people to have Bibles until recent history. Much like Islam does today.

    As to Jon's second point, I think the secular world of unbelievers today create a paper monster of God as portrayed in the old testament in order to excuse their unbelief. It was unbelief which caused most of the suffering portrayed in the old testament. It was unbelief by Adam and Eve which brought about the curse on the world which causes the suffering we experience in it still today. God always offered a better way to the people of the old testament which if they had only believed Him and followed His instructions they would have recieved blessing and protection. It was when they rejected Him that they removed themselves from His blessing and protection, and put themselves under the power of the god of this world, Satan. Satan is the author of death and destruction, and the liar who places the blame on God and those who follow God. Thankfully, his time of ruling this planet appears to be nearing its end. Be warned though, he will reap as much destruction as he can because he knows his time is short.

    ReplyDelete

About Us - The minds behind "Intelligent Faith 315"