IF315's Book Recommendations:

IF315's Book Recommendations

Saturday, August 18, 2012

An illustration of what apologetics really is


Apologetics is somewhat of a lonely endeavor. It is possible for a person to give a great deal of effort to apologetic work, to defending God’s word, to answering questions, to reasoning with people and have it all seem as though it was worthless. Discouragement is a reality to the apologist. There are certainly victories, by God’s grace; but there are many encounters that could simply be classified as "unprofitable."
To help you keep your eyes on the real issue of apologetics, I offer the following illustration. The idea is to get you to understand what your job is as an apologist, as someone who answers questions and objections, and points people to Jesus. I believe that if you understand where you are and what your ‘job’ is, then you won’t be as overcome with discouragement as you might otherwise be.

Apologetics is like . . .

Apologetics is like a field. In the center of the field is a garden. This garden has one door, and that door is Jesus. There is one path that leads to that door. Inside the garden is eternal life in the presence of God. Outside the field, however, are rocks, boulders, thorns, thistles, valleys, hills, and many false paths that lead nowhere.
The apologist resides in the field and points people to the true path so they can find the Garden. The apologist seeks to remove the intellectual thorns and emotional rocks that prevent people from finding the true path to God. Also, there are many people who are walking false paths (cults, philosophies, etc.) who will never reach that Garden. The apologist gently guides the person, removes the obstacles, and points in the direction of the Garden. When people arrive there, it is between them and God as to whether or not they enter.
Picture yourself as a laborer in the field. It isn’t your job to save anyone. It is your job to point the way. You aren’t the only one in the field. Getting them to the Garden is not your job. They get there. You simply help them.
taken from carm.org

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure what to say about this essay. I think much of it is right on the mark, but I also think I'd take issue with the part, "It is not our job to save people."

    After all, Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15:11 "Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so you believed."

    Still, it's not my intent to quibble or split hairs about this issue. I think it could be debated endlessly, and might lead one into murky water very fast. But I don't like the tone of the way it reads as a conclusion. I'll leave it at that.

    As far as the discouragement is concerned, I'd only like to put out that better than us have felt the sharp pain of this, and that would be Jesus himself. I'll remind the author and anyone else of two examples John 8:43 "Why do you not understand my speech? Even because you cannot hear my word." John 3:11 "Verily, verily, I say unto thee, we speak that we do know, and testify that (which) we have seen, and you receive not our witness." So, all of us are in good company, eh?

    Lest the author has any of us hanging our heads too low, let me remind everyone of Hebrews 6:10 "For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which you have showed toward his name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister."

    Don't forget Pastor J, that a lot of what you are doing - and any other apologist - is helping other saints strengthen their resolve to stay the course of faith. Sure, we would all like to save all the boneheaded atheists out there, but if all your efforts keep just one brother or sister from falling away, then you have done a job with eternal rewards. Just one, mind you. So, although I appreciated the essay, if had me a little concerned - again, with the conclusion, more than the rest. And if anyone hasn't thanked you for awhile, let me be the one to do it, and do it (along with Nelis) as strongly as I can. You two are involved in the most important endeavor on earth, and eventually heaven.

    ReplyDelete

About Us - The minds behind "Intelligent Faith 315"