IF315's Book Recommendations:

IF315's Book Recommendations

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Are you an apologist?


Sometimes, when I do seminars, after I introduce myself I give a very brief history of what got me started inapologetics and what keeps me going.  Usually, those who are there are there to learn about Christian doctrine; evangelism; witnessing to Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, or other cult groups; or are simply there to ask questions on different subjects.  Invariably, I introduce the term 'apologetics' to the group and define it as "that field of Christian study that defends biblical truth against anything that opposes it."  Also, I state that apologetics is as varied as people and subjects and that no one can master all areas.  As God calls people into study, they will become proficient in what interests them according to the gifts and interests that have been entrusted to them by Him.
But one of my concerns when doing seminars is what I call "The Speaker Effect."  Basically, when a group gathers to hear a speaker, it is assumed that the speaker knows his material and is very experienced in the subject.  Given the fact that public speaking is America's number one phobia, the mere fact that a person can get up there and speak for an hour on a subject (and enjoy doing it) has a psychological effect of distancing the learner from the teacher.  The speaker is often elevated to the status of "A Special Teacher Called of God."   Actually, in my case, the speaker is just someone who likes to blab about what he knows.  I'm no different than anyone else, and that is important.  People need to realize that they are called by God to study and show themselves approved (2 Tim. 2:15).  Furthermore, this "effect" tends to make people think that they can't be good apologists since they aren't up there speaking.  This is not true, and I always try to motivate people to study and master those areas that the Lord calls them to study.
Apologetics is the attempt to make a defense for the Christian faith.  If you do that in any way, then you are an apologist.  In fact, you are commanded to be an apologist by Peter:  "But sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence," (1 Pet. 3:15).
Click HERE to continue reading

1 comment:

  1. I was just witnessing today to an old friend, and a former high school classmate. She refuses to believe in the immaculate conception, and says, "I just can't get my little, logical mind to accept that." So - being in the immediate panic that most of us find ourselves, I started with Genesis 3:15, then moved to Isaiah 7:14, noted the sheer number of prophecies concerning his birth, and the odds against that coming true, and highlighed Deuteronomy 19:18, letting her know that Jesus used this verse on the Jews, to try to explain to them pretty much the same objection she has.

    Once past this, I quoted Isaiah 55:8,9, to inform her that God has spoken directly to the issue of her "little, logical mind," and that he is certainly already aware that we humans have intellectual limitations, and nicely answers those limitations.

    Well, this went on for a while, and I finally asked her - should she want and need a more contemporary update and input - to read Lee Strobel's "The Case for Christ," making sure to inform her of the book's chapter on the resurrection of Jesus, and its modest length, which is easily conquered. I went on to explain to her Strobel's very negative reaction to Jesus and Christianity, before his intense investigation, as he details in the book, and the fact that he was completely won to our side, in the end.

    Currently, despite the fact that she does not believe in divine birth - she actually believes in reincarnation. Not wanting to sound negative and pounch on her intellectual failings, I stayed completely away from this issue, and instead quoted 1 Corinthians 15:26 and Hebrews 2:14,15, to give her a feel for a different kind of rebirth, one that didn't directly threaten her own idea of living again, but provided a more sure alternative.

    Of course, I had these witnessing tools at the ready, and what to convey to others visiting this site that it didn't take me that long to know and absorb this line of defense and witness. Yes, it does take a certain amount of work, but a little knowledge can go a long way. I haven't, as yet, received a positive response from her, but stressed that she should consider these points very seriously, and that her very soul depended on making a correct decision.

    Once again, being longer than I expected to be, let me close by saying that I was praying the entire time that the Lord would put the correct words in my heart. And the preceding is what was delivered to me, in all my weakness. In the newspaper business we call this "a little chat-me-up." So, if you get the opportunity, say a silent prayer and get to the chat-me-up business. Smile.

    ReplyDelete

About Us - The minds behind "Intelligent Faith 315"